The COVID-19 crisis has laid bare the injustices in our society. And those who have been historically oppressed are being hit hardest by this crisis. But crisis also creates opportunity. We have the opportunity to remake our society in accordance with our values of equity and justice. And, right now, we have the opportunity to respond by ensuring that the leadership of the most vulnerable is uplifted.
Here are just a few of the ways Liberty Hill is responding to immediate needs and looking to the future:
- Launched COVID-19 Rapid Response Fund for Community Organizing Fund. Grants have been approved to over 30 organizations to meet immediate needs related to COVID-19. Thanks to all of the Liberty Hill donor-activists who stepped up! We are still raising funds to meet growing needs and continuing to accept applications from our grantees. Donate here. For more information on how to apply, click here.
- Accelerated Award of $2.3M in General Operating Grants to Community Organizers and Advocates. We eliminated the written proposal process for both the Fund for Change and the Our Kids, Our Future Fund. These grants fuel community organizing, the solution to undo the broken systems that cause the very injustices we are currently experiencing.
- Hosted a Virtual Organizing Town Hall, bringing together over 100 organizers and activists across Los Angeles County. Participants shared emergency calls to action, digital resources, and mutual aid tools with one another.
- Hosted a Facebook Live event, providing supporters with an opportunity to hear directly from housing activists about frontline needs.
- Joined the Fight. We've teamed up with fierce activists throughout L.A. to fight for the safety and health of our community members.
- Partnered with grassroots organizers and foundation CEO's to call for the release youth from jails where COVID is spreading. Read our op-ed in The Chronical of Social Change here.
- Advising social justice philanthropists on how to make a difference right now. We take the guesswork out giving! We are providing vetted dockets, strategic advising and other support. For assistance, email Liberty Hill's Director of Philanthropy, Sarah Vaill at email@example.com.
- Released Liberty Hill COVID 19 webpage, including community resources and ways to engage and give. Check it out here.
- Liberty Hill's Wally Marks Leadership Institute and Ready to Rise Initiative are shifting programming online. This includes virtual trainings, peer-learning opportunities, and coaching. Topics to include: digital organizing, maintaining mental and emotional health, and financial planning.
- Our housing and environmental justice outreach programs are also adapting to a virtual reality:
- Our emPOWER program partners will offer utility subsidies and health resources to residents in highly polluted communities at higher risk of COVID-19 complications due to high rates of asthma and respiratory issues.
- In partnership with the Unincorporated Tenants United and Right to Counsel coalitions, we will use creative methods of outreach and education to ensure that tenants know their rights. From online tenant clinics, phone-based hotlines, as well as broad communications like radio and social media ads, we will continue to help tenants exercise their rights, provide legal aid, and ultimately prevent evictions and homelessness.
More to come! Thank you to all of our supporters and partners for making this work possible.
To return to the COVID-19 Home Page, click here.